Analytics

Monday, December 1, 2014

Reasons Why You Should Grow Thyme-It's Not Just For Herb Gardens

If you had to choose one herb to grow in your garden what would it be?  For me it would be Thyme.  I love it and can't imagine not having it.  There are many reasons why I love this plant-but the main reason is the fragrance.  Heck-that is really the main reason I grow herbs in the first place.  Thyme is highly aromatic that begs to be touched to release it's odor.  I just love walking past it and giving it a rub so that I can get a whiff.  I grow different varieties of Thyme in my garden-but my favorite is Common Thyme or Thymus vulgaris.

Thyme growing indoors in a sunny window
Thyme growing outside zone 5

Here are some reasons to grow Thyme in your garden:

Thyme is easy to propagate-you can either start this plant from seed or from cuttings. I usually grow mine from seed and never had an issue with germination.  I both wintersow and start them indoors under lights.

Thyme is easy to grow-all it needs is well drained soil and plenty of sun.  They do not necessarily need full sun-I have success growing Thyme in part shade in my gardens. It is also one of the easiest herbs to overwinter indoors.

Thyme is delicious-it works in all kinds of recipes and soups and works well with other herbs.  I especially like using it with garlic in recipes and in soups.  Just trim off sprigs with a pair of scissors when you need it.

Thyme has many varieties to choose from-not only is there common Thyme but there are lemon scented, orange scented, caraway scented, variegated, wooly, the list goes on.
Wooly Thyme

Thyme is a hardy perennial-grows in zones 4-9.  It might need to be mulched heavily in the northern part of the growing zone.
 Lemon Thyme in winter

Thyme works well with other plants-not only do I grow it in a container, I have it growing in my flower beds with my perennials.
White flowered variegated Thyme

Thyme makes and excellent ground cover-varieties such as Wooly Thyme, Creeping Thyme and Mother of Thyme are short and make excellent ground covers along walkways and edges.  They are also a great addition to Fairy gardens and Rock gardens.
"Twist of Lemon" Thyme makes a great aromatic ground cover

Thyme is deer and rabbit resistant-because of it's pungent odor it is rarely ever bothered by critters in my garden.
Silver Thyme

Thyme is insect and disease resistant-I personally have never had an issue with either on my plants.

Thyme is attractive to pollinators-especially bees.

Thyme is evergreen-even in the northern zones.  It provides winter interest in your garden and you can enjoy Thyme all year as long as it isn't covered in snow.
Thyme in winter

Thyme is easy to grow in a container-I have a pot of it on my front steps all summer and then I haul it in when it gets cold. 

Thyme is drought tolerant-in fact the flavor intensifies with a little neglect.

Thyme has health benefits-it has been touted as an anti-septic, anti-viral, anti-fungal, etc. and is used in aromatherapy.
 Lemon Thyme

So, I hope I have given you enough reasons why Thyme would be a wonderful addition to your garden.  There are so many wonderful varieties to choose from that you might have a difficult "thyme" picking just one!  If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them in the comment section:-))  Until next time-

Happy Planting!
Rhonda

1 comment:

  1. I love thyme growing in my garden, especially in the hypertufa troughs. I am partial to the wooly thyme, elfin thyme, all the iddy biddy ones.

    ReplyDelete